Tuesday December 29, 2020.
Today: Cloudy with a 20% chance of showers. Highs around 70. Southeast winds 10 to 20 mph. [It reached 70° by 4:00 and we had intermittent showers]
- Tonight: Cloudy. 50% Chance of showers before midnight then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Lows in the lower 60s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph before midnight.
- Wednesday: High 65° low 40° thunderstorms
- Thursday: High 43° low 34° rain
- Last night before going to bed I checked the forecast and there was an 80% chance of snow on Thursday. This morning it had changed to rain. I have to admit, I was kind of looking forward to a little snow. A very little snow.
- I just got the results from my covid test. “Negative: SARS-CoV-2 not detected Testing did not identify the presence of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) in the patient’s sample.“
The news headline read, TRUMP REFUSED TO SIGN RELIEF BILL
- That’s the news that’s reported. How different it would be if the headline read, TRUMP REFUSED TO SETTLE ON $1,400 LESS RELIEF THAN HE HAS DEMANDED FOR OVER 6 MONTHS. This statement is as true as the other headline. Do you still believe that the press is unbiased?
- The general public relies on news outlets to report the news. We have to because we aren’t at the events as they unfold. However, news reporters are not like Court reporters who capture the words spoken by everyone during a court or deposition proceeding. Court reporters then prepare verbatim transcripts of proceedings.
- News reporters do not record verbatim. They filter what .they see and hear through their own set of biases. They then write or tell the story with their own objective in mind and add adjectives that color our response. As an example of how descriptive words change our reaction, read the following. “I did it,” he said remorsefully. “I did it,” he said proudly.
- This is not new and possibly unavoidable. Read the gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Each author is telling the story of Jesus’s life and ministry. However, though as many as ten events are common to each, the author’s view point and purpose determined what they recorded and in what sequence.
The following summation was found on WhatChristiansWantToKnow.com/
- Matthew portrays Jesus as the King and Messiah — he focuses on what Jesus said.
- Mark shows Jesus as the Servant of God and he simply speaks of what Jesus did.
- Luke shares Jesus as the Son of Man and therefore has much to say about what Jesus felt.
- And finally, John presents Jesus as the Son of God giving emphasis to who Jesus was.
- While I am ready to believe each of the gospel writers to be honorable men with no attempt to deceive, I am less ready to believe modern news reporters are as honorable or that they have no intent to deceive.
- Here is a quote attributed to Ben Franklin which states “believe half of what you see and none of what you hear“. Seems like sounds advice.
- We were playing Fast Track, while the remnants of our brisket sandwich and tomato soup lunch remained on the table. After Ella had beaten me four out of four games, I needed a break to clear the table and salve my wounds. But I came back for a single win out of the next three games.
(Past. I don’t think she really shuffled – just kept those winning cards in order. I could be wrong. She could just be that good and that lucky.)
- Thanks to Ella, the Christmas tree is down and boxed away until next Christmas.
- We still have two laser projection lights to box as well as a nativity that crane without a box.
- After all the sugar laced treats from this past week, we needed some nutritious food made from nature’s most perfect food, milk! Ella had a strawberry cheesecake Blizzard. See it even has fruit! I had a hot fudge sundae, because I wanted something hot for supper.
- It wasn’t all dark and forbidding.
- There was some light on the horizon at days end.
- Also follow this other blog: http://armchairsermons.com My NEW sermons blog Armchair Sermons. Sermons posted most Sundays 10 AM central time
All content (except quotations) ©2020 Thomas E. Williams
Good news. My INR was back on the accepted range again.